At RiverCamp 2017 we are gathering the prophetic voices together, believing God wants to communicate something above the noise of insignificance into the heart of His people this summer. Ahead of our sixteenth year gathering in the beauty of The Lenches we wanted to share some helpful words about the nature of the prophetic.
First, let me say prophecy isn’t supposed to be complicated and isn’t simply for “those people”. Come on, don’t raise your eyebrow, you know what I mean. Prophecy, simply put, is to pull out the truth in someone, it’s declaring the goodness and kindness of God to them and speaking the heart of God in the face of their personal situations and whatever darkness may surround them.
To be a prophetic people we must accept the foundational truth that everyone who is born again is able to function in simple prophecy. It is the will of God for everyone who loves Jesus to prophecy – this really is the inheritance of every born-again believer.
Simple prophecy has three purposes according to 1 Corinthians 14:3 to bring edification, exhortation and comfort. Ultimately, the main emphasis of prophesy is to inspire people in their faith and love, reminding people of Gods care, emphasising something that people are already familiar with or thinking about.
Let’s break it down:
Edification: spiritually building or edifying one’s spirit in different ways.
- Confirming their destiny in God
- Their purpose in life
- Includes assuring people that God will touch their heart
- Bring breakthrough in a specific area
- Reminding them that God is with them
- Confirm something that God has already told them
Exhortation: exhorting people to persevere instead of giving up on God’s promises
- Encouragement to press through
- Not to give up or give in to sin during temptation
- Push through in their calling and in righteousness
Comfort to people: giving them Gods perspective
- God is with them in their situation
- Gives perspective and context to a disappointment or setback in life
- Provides confirmation and assurance
- Helps them to stay focused & faithful to do Gods will & purpose
The prophetic gift, of course, goes much further than this and dives into deeper areas of one’s life and even, at times speaks into the heart of a nation. Elijah, Elisha and Samuel stand out as men who spoke with prophetic strength and clarity into the hearts and lives of people, authority figures and nations. and there are those today who speak with such strength and clarity.
This year, as we gather the prophets we are expecting God to move, his voice to be heard, above the discord of live and lives to be impacted. We pray you come with an eager expectation for the gift of the prophetic to move in you and through you as we gather this summer.